24 January 23: New comments UI, improved diff view, and more
We've spent a lot of time fixing critical bugs, improving performance, and adding key features.
We've looked into the way comments are being used across GitBook, and have made some major improvements not only to the way they function, but also to the way they allow you to work with the rest of your team. Here's a quick summary of some of the major changes:
- Comments moved to sidebar instead of overlay
- Context added to block level comments
- Comments available in diff mode
We've also made some major UX improvements to the way diff view looks and feels, allowing you to have greater context to the the things that have changed inside a document you might be working on.
- Deleted blocks now show a diff indicator in the editor
- Apply new diff view UI elements in diff mode
- Added modified/added diff indicators when viewing a change request
If you're using the OpenAPI block in any of your GitBook pages, you'll now see any request body examples included in the definition file used to generate the block.
Lastly, we've improved the way notifications are shared when change requests are finished and submitted for review.
We've also made improvements to the following:
- Add missing icons to table options menus.
- Add support for (un)indenting multiple selected list items.
- Add an option to show/hide the pagination at the bottom of the page.
- Directly download a file in a table when clicking it on public content.
- Add a back button to the change request header breadcrumb.
- Improve table UX when editing column options and header titles. They now auto-save on change.
- Improve keyboard navigation in table cards, using Backspace and Enter to move between having the entire card selected or a specific column.
- Change the default state of new created checklist items to unchecked.
- Change the default extension for drawing files to
.excalidraw.svgto ease the insertion of drawing created in excalidraw.com.
Below is a list of bug fixes also included in this release:
- Limit collection description input to prevent silent "Missing or insufficient permission error".
- Fix outline active section compute on public content.
- Fix popovers placement on public content.
- Fix hovering annotations leading to text wavering.
- Fix tab navigation within table cells and non-text cells selection.
- Fix caching Firestore queries in browser cache to improve initial load time.
- Fix page shift when switching between editable and diff views.
- Fix an issue where the collection dropdown wouldn't show if the page is scrolled.
- Fix an issue where selecting heading text was not possible.
- Fix keyboard selection of Inline math nodes.
- Fix the expandable block collapsing when editing the title.
- Fix images being rendered very small on mobile.
- Fix issue where scrolling position is lost when switching to diff or creating a Change Request.
- Fix vertical content shift in diff mode.
- Fix an issue where only selected image, from multiple, would open in gallery
- Fix issue where Space or Collection invite links are not deleted when content is moved to new owner.
- Fix issue where last image in a carousel is slightly bigger.
We're constantly working on improving the way you and your team work in GitBook, and value your input on features, bugs, and more. Make sure you head to our official GitBook Community to join the discussion.